Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Interactive Whiteboards in Today's Classroom

In my opinion, Interactive White Boards are highly overrated.  While no one can argue that they are helpful in organizing a lesson, I think that this is the only real advantage to them and that schools can use their money in other more useful ways.  Students nowadays are so accustomed to new means of technologies (iPads, iPods, laptops, etc.) that the technological advancement of IWBs is no longer entertaining or a significant contribution to the learning experience.  I also think that an IWB is just another tool to help a teacher.  A good teacher that enjoys his job does not need a fancy white board to help students learn a given concept.  The article "Interactive whiteboards: boon or bandwagon?" relays both the pros and cons associated with the booming IWB industry.

My high school had several interactive whiteboards, however, they were only in select rooms and most teachers either didn't know how to use them, simply didn't use them, or didn't allow the students to.  I think this is a very common trend within schools across the nation.  Administrators purchase these tools and assume the teachers and students will utilize them in the classroom which is not always the case.  I think if they are to be utilized, their should be training involved so that the teachers know how to effectively use them to contribute positively to the learning environment.


However strong my opinion is against IWBs, I do think they could be beneficial in differentiating a classroom.  Activities could be developed to cater to the different needs of students depending on their readiness and learning style.  Their are many interactive elements associated (obviously) with IWBs.  This could prove to be very beneficial for visual and hands on learners.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice due to the many links present. The pictures are a bit bland though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there can be better uses of funds than IWB’s. When I was in school we didn’t have these (I graduated in 2006). My first experience with them was during my observations and I loved them and can see many uses for them. Unfortunately, most of the use of them I have seen is not student centered. One teacher put a video up from the math book that taught the lesson. The teacher then sat down and did other work while this played. I think these could be great, but without the correct training there is untapped potential sitting in these classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that some teachers unfortunately do not utilize the interactive whiteboards the way that they should be used although I do feel that they are a great advancement. As future teachers, I feel that we need to pave the way to older teachers on how great they are so they have more of a want to learn how to use them. If they are used correctly, in my opinion they can most defiantly be a huge support for any lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a medium just like any medium from the past that becomes clichéd with time, much like the dreaded overhead projector.

    ReplyDelete